A Little About Me

New York, New York
As a newly married woman, it has become my mission in life to learn how to cook. Gone are the days of picking up sushi and ordering curries. In order to jump-start my education, I enrolled in the Institute of Culinary Education's Fine Cooking I course where I learned the basics, from roasting to boiling to mousse-making (ok, maybe not that basic)! I've attempted to replicate some recipes - somewhat successfully- and create a few of my own. This blog is for friends and foodies and is intended to document my cooking adventures (and occasional fiascoes). Enjoy the pictures and bon appetite!

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

What do YOU call this?


So, my husband and I have had several debates over what this dish, comprised of an egg cooked in toast, is actually called. While he insists on "Egg In The Hole," I know it as "Rocky Mountain Toast" (which is what I remember my dad always calling it when he made it for me as a girl). Either way, it's a nice break from the daily omelets I whip up and really simple to make!

Leave a comment and let me know what you call it!

Ingredients
2 slices of whole wheat bread
pad of butter
2 eggs
salt and pepper to taste

Start by cutting large holes into your bread by forcefully pressing the rim of glass down and twisting. Save the cutouts. Next, butter both sides of the bread as well as the cutouts. Heat some olive in a pan over medium- low heat and place your bread in. Crack an egg in a separate bowl, look for and remove any egg shells, and pour the egg directly in the hole.

Cook for 1-3 minutes, depending on how well-done you like the yolk and flip over, allowing the other side to cook for the same length. While cooking, place the cutouts in the pan and cook as well. Seasons with salt and pepper and enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Rocky Mountain toast. Duh haha Funny how my answer and mom's are the same. Wonder why!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is also known by a large number of alternative names, examples being Rocky Mountain toast, egg-in-a-basket, moon egg, egg-in-the-hole, one-eyed Jack, bird's nest, gas house eggs, the Elephant Egg Bagel, frog in a hole, camp eggs or camper's eggs, bull's eye, egg in bed, eggy-in-a-bready, moon toast, Moon over Miami, Popeye, and Cowboy Eggs. (courtesy of wiki ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. egg in a basket for me - Bostonian by extraction, if it matters

    ReplyDelete