A Little About Me

New York, New York
As a newly married woman, it has become my mission in life to learn how to cook. Gone are the days of picking up sushi and ordering curries. In order to jump-start my education, I enrolled in the Institute of Culinary Education's Fine Cooking I course where I learned the basics, from roasting to boiling to mousse-making (ok, maybe not that basic)! I've attempted to replicate some recipes - somewhat successfully- and create a few of my own. This blog is for friends and foodies and is intended to document my cooking adventures (and occasional fiascoes). Enjoy the pictures and bon appetite!

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Homemade Garlic Potato Salad


Ever since making my own mayonnaise last week, I've been on a bit of a mayo run lately. I can't help it! Making it yourself is not only satisfying, but more authentic and delicious than the jarred alternative. Mayo is very versatile. For this homemade potato salad recipe, I used garlic to give the mayo a wonderful, yet not-so-breath-friendly, flavor.

Ingredients
Bag of mixed small potatoes
A couple handfuls of button mushrooms
olive oil
watercress
mayo
garlic cloves

Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees. Cut the potatoes in half and place on a baking sheet with the mushrooms. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast in the oven for about 45 minutes, or until you can easily prick the potato with a fork.

While the potatoes, are roasting, mince your garlic cloves, sprinkle with salt and use the edge of your knife blade to press into a paste. Add the garlic to your mayo and stir. If you're looking for an easier alternative, just mix some store-bought garlic paste into the mayo until it tastes garlicky enough for your liking.

Once the potatoes and mushrooms have been removed from the oven and cooled, combine them with some of the garlic mayo and a handful of watercress.

Mix and serve! This salad goes great alongside a grilled steak or even with the curry chicken salad sandwich I previously posted about!


No comments:

Post a Comment