A Little About Me

New York, New York
As a newly married woman, it has become my mission in life to learn how to cook. Gone are the days of picking up sushi and ordering curries. In order to jump-start my education, I enrolled in the Institute of Culinary Education's Fine Cooking I course where I learned the basics, from roasting to boiling to mousse-making (ok, maybe not that basic)! I've attempted to replicate some recipes - somewhat successfully- and create a few of my own. This blog is for friends and foodies and is intended to document my cooking adventures (and occasional fiascoes). Enjoy the pictures and bon appetite!

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Miso Glazed Bass over Edamame Puree with Ginger/Garlic Greens

Although I've made a lot of Asian dishes in the past few months, I've never once used fish. Don't ask me why, but I think fish is just better when made in restaurants. However, since I promised to make my fish-loving parents some dinner the next time they're in New York, I figured now would be a good time to start perfecting my skills :)

Edamame Puree Ingredients
1 cup edamame beans
1 tsp wasabi powder
1/4 tsp salt
juice of half a lemon
3 tbsp canola oil

I decided to make an edamame puree because any time you order fish in a restaurant, it always comes on top of or surrounded by some kind of sauce or puree. Let's be honest, it provides a little pizzaz.

Start by throwing all the above ingredients into a food processor and puree until smooth. You might want to taste it as you go along, adding more of the ingredients as you deem fit -- my husband loved the hint of wasabi and said he would have liked to have tasted more.



Next up, some greens (because no meal is complete without some veggies). I opted for bok choy and snap peas since that's what looked good in the Farmer's Market, but you can really go with any combination. If you're going to use bok choy like I did, keep in mind the leaves shrink when cooked and one bunch doesn't amount to much.

Ingredients
4 bunches bok choy
2 handful snap peas
2 minced garlic cloves
1 tbsp minced ginger
2 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
sesame seeds

Start by heating some olive oil in your pan. Add the ginger and garlic and let brown for a couple minutes. Next, add your bok choy, snap peas and soy sauce. Stir to coat your vegetables.

Let cook for 3-5 minutes, or until greens are wilted. Season with salt and pepper as needed and top with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.

Finally, it's time to prepare the fish and the miso glaze which will give it a nice asian flavor.

Ingredients for Miso Glaze
(* This recipe is for 6 filets: adjust measurements according to your quantity)

6 black cod fillets (striped bass, regular cod...)
1/3 cup low-sodium blond of white miso (see photo below)
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp mirin (Japanese cooking wine)

To make the glaze that will go on the cod, combine the miso, brown sugar, sesame oil and mirin.
          Stir until the sugar has dissolved.

          Wash and pat dry your fish. Brush the fish with the glaze and place it under the broiler for 3-4 minutes. Remove the fish from the oven, brush with more glaze and lower the oven to 375 degrees. Cook for another 5-10 minutes. If your fish is really thick, it may have to stay in longer, like mine did. I ended up cooking my fillet for about 20 minutes because it was huge and needed some more time in the oven.

          Place the fish on top of the edamame puree and serve alongside veggies!

          And there you have it! My first (and not last) attempt at making some fish.

          3 comments:

          1. ooh this came out so much better than ours! was this before or after our sea bass disaster?

            ReplyDelete
          2. It was actually before we made ours! i think it looks prettier, but our flavors were much better! I was thinking... how yummy would it be if we dud a pineapple mango salsa instead of the grilled pineapple?

            ReplyDelete
          3. oh pineapple-mango salsa would have been much better. your pictures come out so pretty! I've been borrowing my roommates camera since mine was a casualty in the flambed banana fiasco :(

            ReplyDelete