A Little About Me

New York, New York
As a newly married woman, it has become my mission in life to learn how to cook. Gone are the days of picking up sushi and ordering curries. In order to jump-start my education, I enrolled in the Institute of Culinary Education's Fine Cooking I course where I learned the basics, from roasting to boiling to mousse-making (ok, maybe not that basic)! I've attempted to replicate some recipes - somewhat successfully- and create a few of my own. This blog is for friends and foodies and is intended to document my cooking adventures (and occasional fiascoes). Enjoy the pictures and bon appetite!

Friday, April 9, 2010

Curry Chicken Salad on Pumpernickle


You may notice a recurring theme in my posts; curry as a primary flavor. Still, there's always room for one more recipe! Earlier this week, I decided to make my husband lunch instead of dinner. I already had a small tub of mayonnaise (which I show how to make in the previous post) on hand and two chicken breasts that I had bought as backups in case the miso glazed cod turned out inedible. After buying some pumpernickel and arugula, I was ready to start sandwich-making!

Ingredients
2 slices pumpernickle bread
handful arugula
2 chicken breasts
vegetable broth or water
mayonnaise
raisins
minced red onions
curry powder
cayenne pepper
garlic powder
garam masala

The first step in preparing the curry chicken salad is cooking the chicken. I decided to poach my breasts since I had never poached anything before. To do this, place the breasts in a saucepan, pour in enough water or vegetable broth to cover them, and bring the liquid to a boil. Let it boil for two minutes and then turn off the heat. Leave the breasts in the water for 20 minutes and then they are ready to use!

Cut the chicken into chunks and add some mayo (quantity depends on how much you like). Throw in some raisins and red onions and season with the spices listed above until the taste is to your liking. I like things spicy, but you might not.

Finally, place the salad and arugula between the bread and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment