A Little About Me

New York, New York
As a newly married woman, it has become my mission in life to learn how to cook. Gone are the days of picking up sushi and ordering curries. In order to jump-start my education, I enrolled in the Institute of Culinary Education's Fine Cooking I course where I learned the basics, from roasting to boiling to mousse-making (ok, maybe not that basic)! I've attempted to replicate some recipes - somewhat successfully- and create a few of my own. This blog is for friends and foodies and is intended to document my cooking adventures (and occasional fiascoes). Enjoy the pictures and bon appetite!

Friday, September 3, 2010

A Sizzling Summer Steak

While I've been focusing a lot on lamb lately, I still have the occasional soft spot for some juicy grilled steak. My summer isn't complete unless I've tossed some filets on the grill and doused them in herb-alicious chimirchurri sauce. As with any good steak, it's important to let the meat marinate for a couple of hours so that the flavor can penetrate, making it nice and juicy. I chose to use a red wine marinade for my steak, but there are lots of options out there if you know how to Google ;)

Ingredients
5 filet mignon steaks
1 cup red wine, preferably Malbec
5 garlic cloves
1 tsp red chili pepper flakes
1 tsp kosher salt
black pepper
1 tbsp fresh oregano
1 tbsp fresh parsley

To create a delicious marinade for your steaks, combine all the above ingredients in a large bowl. Instead of mincing the garlic, you'll want to remove the skin and smash it with a knife, releasing the flavor.

Take a knife and stab each piece of uncooked meat about four times, creating holes that will allow the marinade to infuse into the meat. Place the steak filets in the marinade and let them sit for at least an hour before turning. Let them sit another hour so that they really absorb the flavors and become tender.

Heat your grill to medium-high and, in my case, ask your husband to grill them until medium. You'll want to cut into the meat at various points during grilling to make sure they are as rare or as well done as you'd like them to be.


Slice and serve with some chimichurri (recipe to follow!)


1 comment: