A Little About Me

New York, New York
As a newly married woman, it has become my mission in life to learn how to cook. Gone are the days of picking up sushi and ordering curries. In order to jump-start my education, I enrolled in the Institute of Culinary Education's Fine Cooking I course where I learned the basics, from roasting to boiling to mousse-making (ok, maybe not that basic)! I've attempted to replicate some recipes - somewhat successfully- and create a few of my own. This blog is for friends and foodies and is intended to document my cooking adventures (and occasional fiascoes). Enjoy the pictures and bon appetite!

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Warm Lentil Salad

I made this lovely warm lentil salad for lunch because I was looking for a meal high in fiber. Lentils, a small but nutritionally mighty member of the legume family, are a very good source of cholesterol-lowering fiber. Eating just one cup of lentils gives the body 15.6 grams of fiber (and we all know what fiber's good for)!

Ingredients:
1 cup french green lentils
1 small onion
1 bay leaf
3 Cloves (or large pinch powder)
3 cups water
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 cup finely minced red onion
2 finely minced garlic cloves
2 tbsp minced parsley
2 tbsp minced chives
1 cup finely diced red peppers
12/ lemon

Start by placing the cup of lentils, half an onion (skin removed), a bay leaf, and your cloves in a small pot. Cover with water, bring to a boil, then simmer for 25 minutes.

* Be sure to test the lentil's firmness before draining, as they may need more time to soften*

While your lentils are cooking, combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl.

Lastly, combine the lentils and veggies, toss, and squirt the juice of half a lemon on top for some acidity.




No comments:

Post a Comment