A Little About Me

New York, New York
As a newly married woman, it has become my mission in life to learn how to cook. Gone are the days of picking up sushi and ordering curries. In order to jump-start my education, I enrolled in the Institute of Culinary Education's Fine Cooking I course where I learned the basics, from roasting to boiling to mousse-making (ok, maybe not that basic)! I've attempted to replicate some recipes - somewhat successfully- and create a few of my own. This blog is for friends and foodies and is intended to document my cooking adventures (and occasional fiascoes). Enjoy the pictures and bon appetite!

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Something Else to Do With Eggs










Eggs are, by far, my husband's favorite breakfast food. Every morning, when I ask him what he wants, he mutters the word "omelet." I've tried to switch it up by making french toast and yogurt parfaits, but at the end of the day, all he really wants are eggs. Since I've already mastered making omelets that he rates a "9 out of 10," I thought I'd try making a spanish tortilla, which is similar to an omelet but contains potatoes, no cheese, and is baked in the oven to brown.
Ingredients:
1 small potato
1 small onion
5 eggs
1 tbsp milk
pinch of dried herbs (I used thyme, any is fine)
salt and pepper to taste

* Note: Make sure that the pan you're using for this recipe is oven-safe. I prefer to use cast iron skillets.

Before you begin, preheat your oven to about 350 degrees. Start by cutting a potato into chunks and dicing an onion. I would have used a white onion, but red was all I had left. Next, place the potatoes in water and bring to a rolling boil. Let boil for about 2-3 minutes and then strain. While the potatoes are boiling, fry the onions and remove when browned.


























Next, place the potatoes in a very hot pan, drizzle with olive oil, and brown. Now that you have both your potatoes and onions browned, set them aside and whisk the milk, eggs, herbs, salt and pepper into another bowl. Once you have are done, add the potato and onion mixture to the eggs.


















Pour the mixture into a very hot pan and cook until most of the omelet has set. Next, pop your cast iron skillet into the oven and leave until the top starts to look golden (mine took 20 minutes but time varies depending on the quality of your stove). Remove the tortilla, flip, cut and serve.


















Isn't she a beauty?











1 comment: