A Little About Me

New York, New York
As a newly married woman, it has become my mission in life to learn how to cook. Gone are the days of picking up sushi and ordering curries. In order to jump-start my education, I enrolled in the Institute of Culinary Education's Fine Cooking I course where I learned the basics, from roasting to boiling to mousse-making (ok, maybe not that basic)! I've attempted to replicate some recipes - somewhat successfully- and create a few of my own. This blog is for friends and foodies and is intended to document my cooking adventures (and occasional fiascoes). Enjoy the pictures and bon appetite!

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Diced Potatoes Sauteed with Persillade (Garlic and Parsley)

I've had a little difficulty when it comes to making potatoes for Sunday brunch. No matter how I cut, season or prepare them, the insides always end up undercooked. I recently learned that the secret to perfect potatoes is blanching them first. To do this, the potatoes must be diced, submerged in a pot of water, brought to a rolling boil and removed after a few minutes.

Helpful Hint I wish I had known 50 Wasted Potatoes Ago:
Produce that you tend to eat raw should be dropped into a pot of already-boiling water.
Vegetables that you wouldn't normally eat raw need to be brought to a rolling boil.

Ingredients:
6 cups all-purpose potatoes
2 garlic cloves
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1/4 cup minced parsley
2-3 tbsp unsalted butter
salt and pepper

Start by peeling the potatoes, slicing them in thirds, and cutting them into 1/4 inch cubes



Next, cover the potatoes in a pot of water, bring to a boil, and drain after a few minutes

While the potatoes are boiling, prepare the persillade by combining the minced garlic and parsley. Once the potatoes are done, drain them and put them back into the hot pan, adding the vegetable oil once in to prevent hot oil from splashing all over you and your clothes. (Learned the hard way!) After a few minutes, add the butter and then persillade. Sautee on medium heat for around 5 minutes.


You should end up with yummy, brunch-worthy, potatoes that look like this!

2 comments:

  1. This blog is making me hungry! Picture quality is excellent- I can almost taste and smell the food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the potatoes came out fabulous! and so did the blog!!

    ReplyDelete