A Little About Me

New York, New York
As a newly married woman, it has become my mission in life to learn how to cook. Gone are the days of picking up sushi and ordering curries. In order to jump-start my education, I enrolled in the Institute of Culinary Education's Fine Cooking I course where I learned the basics, from roasting to boiling to mousse-making (ok, maybe not that basic)! I've attempted to replicate some recipes - somewhat successfully- and create a few of my own. This blog is for friends and foodies and is intended to document my cooking adventures (and occasional fiascoes). Enjoy the pictures and bon appetite!

Monday, July 26, 2010

A Very Berry Cobbler

One thing I love about summer is how the cardboard-tasting berries I used to pay $5.99 for in winter months are now only $1.99 and bursting with flavor! With so much fruit readily available, I thought a berry cobbler would be a great dessert (and breakfast, and snack) item to have sitting around the house. True, the recipe does call for quite a bit of butter, but keep in mind that the cobbler can feed ten or more. I chose to use blackberries, strawberries and blueberries but adding raspberries, peaches, apples or rhubarb (fancy, right?) would all work with this recipe too, so long as the measurements are kept the same!

Ingredients
4 cups mixed berries or other fruit
4 tbsp white sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups brown sugar, tightly packed
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 cups butter

Start by washing your berries then sprinkle with the white sugar and mix well. Set aside and preheat the oven to 350 degrees before continuing on to the cobbler crust.

In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.

Now for the unhealthy component....cut the butter into smaller chunks and, with your hands,combine the chunks into the mixture until it incorporates all the ingredients and begins to look like a crumble topping.


Grease a baking dish (a 9 x 13 would be ideal) and press half of the crumble topping into the bottom of the pan.

Next, place the fruit in the baking dish.

Finally, scatter the remaining crumble mixture over the fruit and pop it in the oven for about 45 minutes. When done, the fruit should be boiling and the crumble should be browned.

gooey innards......... mmmmmmmmmm


No comments:

Post a Comment