A Little About Me

New York, New York
As a newly married woman, it has become my mission in life to learn how to cook. Gone are the days of picking up sushi and ordering curries. In order to jump-start my education, I enrolled in the Institute of Culinary Education's Fine Cooking I course where I learned the basics, from roasting to boiling to mousse-making (ok, maybe not that basic)! I've attempted to replicate some recipes - somewhat successfully- and create a few of my own. This blog is for friends and foodies and is intended to document my cooking adventures (and occasional fiascoes). Enjoy the pictures and bon appetite!

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A Shishito Snack

Whenever my husband and I tire of eating Asian, we usually opt for some tapas. One of our favorite restaurants here in New York City is Tia Pol and my favorite thing there are the flash-fried shishito peppers. The peppers can be described as "mini, sweet-hot, thin-walled green peppers that are popular in Japan." Once in a while, you may come across a hot pepper, so be sure to have a tolerance for heat! My husband learned this the hard way when he stuck an entire hot pepper in his mouth.... now I end up touching every pepper to my tongue in order to make sure he only eats the mild ones!

Ingredients
Shishito Peppers (I found them at the Union Square Farmer's Market)
olive oil
sea salt

Wash and dry your peppers. Pour some olive oil into a sautee pan and heat over a high flame. Toss in the peppers - stand back, they splatter! (I used tongs and a kitchen mitt to protect myself.) Fry until the peppers start to char.

Remove peppers from the pan, place on a paper towel to absorb some of the oil, sprinkle with sea salt and serve hot! (Oh, and fyi, don't eat the stems!)

1 comment: