A Little About Me

New York, New York
As a newly married woman, it has become my mission in life to learn how to cook. Gone are the days of picking up sushi and ordering curries. In order to jump-start my education, I enrolled in the Institute of Culinary Education's Fine Cooking I course where I learned the basics, from roasting to boiling to mousse-making (ok, maybe not that basic)! I've attempted to replicate some recipes - somewhat successfully- and create a few of my own. This blog is for friends and foodies and is intended to document my cooking adventures (and occasional fiascoes). Enjoy the pictures and bon appetite!

Monday, September 26, 2011

Jerk Chicken

All my mother in law talks about is how much she loves a good jerk chicken. When we go to certain restaurants, she asks about it, hoping they just might have it as a special that day. Her fondness of the dish inspired me to try and make my own. After all, I do love a spicy dish and, having never had jerk chicken, was curious to see why she loved it so much. Now I know and I will definitely be making it again!

Jerk Chicken Ingredients
1 bunch scallions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 habanero chile, chopped
1 lime, juiced
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp all spice
1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
4 boneless chicken breasts
salt and pepper to season chicken with

To make the chicken marinade, place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.

Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Pour the marinade over the chicken and seal in a Ziploc bag. Let the breasts marinade, the longer the better.

When ready to prepare the meal, heat a grill pan on medium-high and brush with olive oil. Grill the chicken about 4-5 minutes on each side.

Ingredients for Mango Cilantro Salsa
2 mangoes, peeled and diced
1/4 cup chopped red onion
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
3 tbsp fresh lime juice
3 tbsp fresh orange juice
salt and pepper

This slaw is really easy to make, just combine the above ingredients. Thank you, Bobby Flay, for a great recipe!

The salsa is really fruity and tropical tasting which cools your mouth after the spicy jerk chicken! I served it alongside some yellow rice and corn salad, for which you can find the recipe here. This dish was a nice break from the usual thai or Indian dishes i'm more likely to experiment with!


No comments:

Post a Comment