A Little About Me

New York, New York
As a newly married woman, it has become my mission in life to learn how to cook. Gone are the days of picking up sushi and ordering curries. In order to jump-start my education, I enrolled in the Institute of Culinary Education's Fine Cooking I course where I learned the basics, from roasting to boiling to mousse-making (ok, maybe not that basic)! I've attempted to replicate some recipes - somewhat successfully- and create a few of my own. This blog is for friends and foodies and is intended to document my cooking adventures (and occasional fiascoes). Enjoy the pictures and bon appetite!

Monday, September 19, 2011

Chicken Parmesan

I really wanted to make my husband something for dinner last week, but didn't really have hours to spend shopping and prepping since the babies went to sleep on the later side. I decided to whip up some chicken parmesan using a bunch of ingredients I already had sitting around the house. Cheese wasn't a problem.... I always have a variety sitting in my fridge. Tomato sauce..... always keep some cans of San Marzano in my cupboard. Chicken... usually have a breast or two sitting in my freezer for rainy days! I served the chicken with a light salad and some avocado to give the meal a "healthier" component (per my husband's request).

Ingredients
3 chicken breasts
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
salt and pepper
1 28 oz can tomato sauce
3 pieces of mozzarella string cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
4 tbsp olive oil

Start by creating your "chicken coating" station. You'll need three separate stations. For the first, measure out the whole wheat flour. For the second, beat the eggs in a bowl. For the third, combine the panko bread crumbs with the parsley and some salt and pepper.

Wash your chicken breasts, then dunk in the flour, followed by the egg wash. Lastly, give it a nice panko coating and set aside.

Heat the olive oil in a pan and brown each chicken side for 3-5 minutes over medium heat.

Top the cooked chicken breasts with the tomato sauce, mozzarella and parmesan cheese.

Bake in the oven at 400 degrees, or until the cheese is completely melted and a little brown, about 15 minutes. Serve with some healthy greens and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment