A Little About Me

New York, New York
As a newly married woman, it has become my mission in life to learn how to cook. Gone are the days of picking up sushi and ordering curries. In order to jump-start my education, I enrolled in the Institute of Culinary Education's Fine Cooking I course where I learned the basics, from roasting to boiling to mousse-making (ok, maybe not that basic)! I've attempted to replicate some recipes - somewhat successfully- and create a few of my own. This blog is for friends and foodies and is intended to document my cooking adventures (and occasional fiascoes). Enjoy the pictures and bon appetite!

Friday, June 4, 2010

Not "Nick & Toni's" Watermelon Salad

One of my favorite East Hampton restaurants is Nick and Toni's due to the fact that they make the most mind blowing savory watermelon salad! Unfortunately, they don't have it on the menu until August since everything is grown locally and used during peak season. Since there is no way I am able wait several months to have my favorite salad, I figured I'd try to make my own version. This recipe is based on the information I was able to drag out of our waiter the last time we ate there! While tasty, I think the restaurant version is much better and would recommend you stop there, if possible, to try it it for yourself!

Ingredients
1 medium red onion, sliced very thin
juice of 4 lemons
1 cup ricotta salata cheese, crumbled or shredded
4 cups diced seedless watermelon
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
1/4 cup mint leaves (I omitted these since they ran out in the market)
3 pinches of sugar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Start by marinating the onions in lemon juice and a few pinches of sugar over night.

When preparing the salad, combine the marinated onions with the remaining ingredients and you'll have a nice refreshing salad for summer! If you have trouble finding ricotta salata, feta cheese works just as well!


No comments:

Post a Comment