A Little About Me

New York, New York
As a newly married woman, it has become my mission in life to learn how to cook. Gone are the days of picking up sushi and ordering curries. In order to jump-start my education, I enrolled in the Institute of Culinary Education's Fine Cooking I course where I learned the basics, from roasting to boiling to mousse-making (ok, maybe not that basic)! I've attempted to replicate some recipes - somewhat successfully- and create a few of my own. This blog is for friends and foodies and is intended to document my cooking adventures (and occasional fiascoes). Enjoy the pictures and bon appetite!

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

I'd Like Some Blood in my Gazpacho, Please

Cooking, while fun, can also be VERY DANGEROUS, especially when you're in a rush and throwing things around carelessly. I've been cooking for about a year now, so an injury was bound to happen eventually. Yesterday, while replicating my dad's recipe for gazpacho, I slammed my knife down on a bulb of garlic, smacking my middle finger onto an adjacent open can in the process. I panicked, cried, dripped blood everywhere and, after a long afternoon in the Emergency Room with my husband, emerged with eight stitches. Despite the trauma, the gazpacho came delicious and I ate it today for lunch (using my "good" hand, of course!).

* To see the damage done to my finger, check out the end of the post*

Ingredients
All the tomatoes in a 28 oz can of Muir Glen Whole tomatoes
1 medium white onion, diced
1 medium green pepper, diced
1 1/2 cups vegetable juice
1 large or 2 small garlic cloves
1/4 cup olive oil ( I used a little less to cut back on calories)
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
6-7 basil leaves
salt and pepper
optional: avocado and shrimp

Combine all of the ingredients listed above in a food processor and pulse until the soup is as chunky or as smooth as you desire. (Difficult, I know)



Garnish with avocado chunks and toss in some diced shrimp for a more complete meal!

Photos of My Injury

2 comments:

  1. Rachel...that looks horrible...Pobrecita...Hasita....but more importantly...can you still cook? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It hurt really bad and it's hard to cook with one hand, so I'll take a little break and then start cooking again when it heals! You can't keep me out of the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete