A Little About Me

New York, New York
As a newly married woman, it has become my mission in life to learn how to cook. Gone are the days of picking up sushi and ordering curries. In order to jump-start my education, I enrolled in the Institute of Culinary Education's Fine Cooking I course where I learned the basics, from roasting to boiling to mousse-making (ok, maybe not that basic)! I've attempted to replicate some recipes - somewhat successfully- and create a few of my own. This blog is for friends and foodies and is intended to document my cooking adventures (and occasional fiascoes). Enjoy the pictures and bon appetite!

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Potato Chip Tortilla: A less healthy, more delicious breakfast

My good friend, and devout blog follower, Adam Kotkin recently pointed out that it's been days since I last posted on here... a true statement which I hate to admit. In between a trip to the Hamptons, a wedding and all my aerobic classes, I've been somewhat busy this week! However, I still found some time to cook, so get ready for a few blog posts that will leave your mouths watering!

Earlier this year, I posted a recipe for a potato tortilla which I thought was a great breakfast alternative to omelettes. I was really excited recently when I came across a recipe for a Potato-Chip Tortilla in the May edition of Food Network Magazine. Substituting a bag of flavorful chips for actual potatoes saves both time and effort, resulting in a tortilla that's just as good, if not better, than the original! It may not be the healthiest breakfast, but sometimes you just don't care!


Ingredients *
3 tbsps olive oil
1 white onion, halved and thinly slices
salt and pepper
12 large eggs
1 8.5 oz bag potato chips

* I halved the ingredients to make a smaller tortilla

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Heat about 2 tbsp in a skillet over medium heat and cook the onions with salt and pepper until they are soft, about 8 minutes. Transfer them to a bowl, set aside, and wipe out your skillet.

Beat the eggs with with 1 cup of water , season with salt and pepper.

Lightly crush the chips into the egg mixture and let stand for ten minutes, stirring occasionally.

Mix in the onions.

Heat the last tbsp of oil in the skillet, pour in the egg mixture and cook until it begins to set, which should take about 5 minutes. Move the skillet to the oven and bake for about half an hour, until the top is a light golden brown. Remove, let cool and serve! I like to eat mine with ketchup....


No comments:

Post a Comment