A Little About Me

New York, New York
As a newly married woman, it has become my mission in life to learn how to cook. Gone are the days of picking up sushi and ordering curries. In order to jump-start my education, I enrolled in the Institute of Culinary Education's Fine Cooking I course where I learned the basics, from roasting to boiling to mousse-making (ok, maybe not that basic)! I've attempted to replicate some recipes - somewhat successfully- and create a few of my own. This blog is for friends and foodies and is intended to document my cooking adventures (and occasional fiascoes). Enjoy the pictures and bon appetite!

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Very Veggie Cous Cous


This dish is what my husband always requests when I ask what he wants for dinner. It's particularly easy because I combine store bought cous cous with a mix of fresh vegetables (how very Sandra Lee of me, right?) In terms of flavor combinations, I love the tomato lentil flavored cous cous by Near East and season the vegetables with cinnamon, cumin and garlic powder for an earthy sweetness.

Start by gathering a bunch of fresh vegetables... it doesn't matter what kind or how much, just improvise with what you have sitting around! For this version I used broccoli, spinach, red onions, red peppers, carrots, raisins, cherry tomatoes and mushrooms. If you want to add protein, opt for a can of garbanzo beans!

Heat up some olive oil in a pan, add your vegetables and season with salt, pepper, cinnamon, cumin and garlic powder.

Remove when all the vegetables are thoroughly cooked.

Next,make the cous cous following the box's specified directions.

Finally, mix in the vegetables you made earlier.


No comments:

Post a Comment