A Little About Me

New York, New York
As a newly married woman, it has become my mission in life to learn how to cook. Gone are the days of picking up sushi and ordering curries. In order to jump-start my education, I enrolled in the Institute of Culinary Education's Fine Cooking I course where I learned the basics, from roasting to boiling to mousse-making (ok, maybe not that basic)! I've attempted to replicate some recipes - somewhat successfully- and create a few of my own. This blog is for friends and foodies and is intended to document my cooking adventures (and occasional fiascoes). Enjoy the pictures and bon appetite!

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Puerto Rican Pastries

Happy belated Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I was lucky enough to spend the past week visiting my parents in Puerto Rico which meant lots of sun, beaching and nostalgia-inducing foods from my childhood on the island! Since I didn't have the opportunity to do much cooking (except for the usual breakfast items), I'd thought I'd share a few photos of my favorite snacks this week!

On our last day, we stopped by Kasalta, an old-school bakery that's been around for as along as I can remember.... I have memories of my grandparents taking my sister and I there for breakfast. Some of my favorite pastry items at Kasalta include quesitos, or sweet cheese-filled pastries, and mallorcas, sweet flaky pastries served toasted. These treats aren't something I've been able to find easily in NYC, so I have to tell you that I really enjoyed and savored every sweet bite!

A sweet glazed quesito...

with a cream cheese filling.

A toasted mallorca, doused in powdered sugar...

with delicious fluffy pastry layers.

Too bad we had to share!

2 comments: