A Little About Me

New York, New York
As a newly married woman, it has become my mission in life to learn how to cook. Gone are the days of picking up sushi and ordering curries. In order to jump-start my education, I enrolled in the Institute of Culinary Education's Fine Cooking I course where I learned the basics, from roasting to boiling to mousse-making (ok, maybe not that basic)! I've attempted to replicate some recipes - somewhat successfully- and create a few of my own. This blog is for friends and foodies and is intended to document my cooking adventures (and occasional fiascoes). Enjoy the pictures and bon appetite!

Monday, November 8, 2010

Indian Style Shrimp in Coconut and Tomato Sauce

If you ask my husband, he'd probably tell you that I've been OBSESSED with Indian food lately. Being the great husband he is, he actually put up with me wanting to order dinner from the same restaurant (Haveli) five nights in the same week. Since he was so giving, I offered to cook him an Indian dinner one of the nights... a win-win situation seeing as how I got some Indian and he got something that tasted different than the usual chicken curry! Just a note, this recipe called for the addition of 5 seeded green chiles, but I couldn't find them at the market and wasn't in the mood for a spicy dinner, so add them if you dare!

Ingredients
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp cumin seeds (or ground cumin)
1 1/2 cups finely chopped red onion
3 tbsp minced ginger
2 tbsp minced garlic
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
1 can unsweetened coconut milk (13.5 oz)
1 1/2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tsp salt
1/4 fresh cilantro, chopped

Start by washing, preparing and pre-measuring ingredients. Having things ready beforehand will make things easier once you start cooking.


Heat the vegetable oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds and cumin and saute for a couple minutes. Next, add the onions, ginger and garlic and cook until the onions have caramelized, about 7 minutes.

Add the tomato paste and cook for a couple minutes before adding the diced tomatoes.Cook until everything has reduced by half.

Raise the heat to high and add the coconut milk. Warning: possible splattering, stand back! Cook until reduced by half then add the shrimp the to the pan. Make sure to season with the salt before adding. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until the shrimp has turned pink.

Add the chopped cilantro, mix and serve.

The shrimp goes well with basmati rice. I used some coconut milk to make the rice and added some coconut shreds for a little extra flavor and texture. See, who needs Indian takeout when you can make this for dinner?


No comments:

Post a Comment