A Little About Me

New York, New York
As a newly married woman, it has become my mission in life to learn how to cook. Gone are the days of picking up sushi and ordering curries. In order to jump-start my education, I enrolled in the Institute of Culinary Education's Fine Cooking I course where I learned the basics, from roasting to boiling to mousse-making (ok, maybe not that basic)! I've attempted to replicate some recipes - somewhat successfully- and create a few of my own. This blog is for friends and foodies and is intended to document my cooking adventures (and occasional fiascoes). Enjoy the pictures and bon appetite!

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Goat and Gruyere Quiche

A couple of weeks ago, we had a few friends over for brunch. Besides the usual spread of bagels, lox and fruit, I felt there had to be something homemade on the table. (Especially since I have a cooking blog!) I decided it had to include some yummy cheeses so I could go harass the guy at my local market's cheese counter for samples! I decided a Gruyere and Goat cheese quiche with mixed vegetables would be unique and showcase all the yummy cheeses I bought! The quiche was a success and, so easy, it's now one of my brunch "musts."

Ingredients
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup chopped yellow onions
1/4 lb mushrooms, sliced
1 bunch of asparagus, cut into chunks
1 tsp minced garlic
3 tbsp chopped fresh basil
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
1 1/4 cups half-and-half
1/2 cup grated Gruyere
1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
3 large eggs
pre made pie crust

Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees and chopping your vegetables.


Melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat and add the vegetables. Cook until the vegetables have wilted, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the fresh herbs and season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and let cool.

In a bowl, beat together the eggs and half-and-half, then season lightly with salt and pepper. Add the Gruyere and crushed red pepper.

Spoon the cooked veggies into the pie crust.

Pour the liquid mixture over the veggies and crumble the goat cheese on top. Bake for 30 minutes, or until set.

If you plan on serving this the next day, just heat in the oven for 10 minutes at 350 degrees since it's best served warm!


1 comment: