A Little About Me

New York, New York
As a newly married woman, it has become my mission in life to learn how to cook. Gone are the days of picking up sushi and ordering curries. In order to jump-start my education, I enrolled in the Institute of Culinary Education's Fine Cooking I course where I learned the basics, from roasting to boiling to mousse-making (ok, maybe not that basic)! I've attempted to replicate some recipes - somewhat successfully- and create a few of my own. This blog is for friends and foodies and is intended to document my cooking adventures (and occasional fiascoes). Enjoy the pictures and bon appetite!

Thursday, December 9, 2010

"Hannukah" Brussel Sprouts

For some reason, my husband insists that potatoes fried in oil does not equal a 'complete dinner.' While I'd be happy consuming twenty latkes and calling it a night, I opted to make a vegetable side dish for my husband and our Hannukah guests. I decided to make some brussel sprouts with toasted almonds and cleverly incorporated some of the oil used to fry the latkes in order to make them exceptionally tasty!

Ingredients
1/2 lb brussel sprouts
1/4 cup slivered almonds
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp olive oil
vegetable oil from latke pan

Start by toasting the almonds. To do, this, heat a dry pan over medium heat. Toss in the almonds and keep them moving until they begin to brown.

Once toasted, remove and set aside.

Heat the olive oil in the same pan and toss in the brussel sprouts. I like to slice mine in half for quicker cooking and easier consumption.

Season with salt and pepper and, after a couple minutes, add the toasted almonds back in. In order to make the whole dish a little tastier, take a couple spoonfuls of the vegetable oil used to fry your latkes and drizzle over the brussel sprouts. This will add a really nice depth and unique flavor.

Continue to cook for a couple more minutes, or until the outer leaves of the brussel sprouts begin to brown. Remove and serve immediately!


2 comments:

  1. Looks so yummy and smells even better!!! :-) LOVE brussel sprouts!!! Make them for me next time I come for dinner...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HATE brussel sprouts- YUK! But, yours are probably incredibly delicious-

    ReplyDelete